Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Emmy...


Okay, so I got a call this afternoon from my beautiful step-daughter Emily. Emily and I have had our share of ups and downs over the last fifteen years, but I think we have finally reached a place where we can be friends, and where we can really love each other, as friends. Trying to mother her was never an option with Emily, besides, she already has a wonderful mother, so she didn't need another one. And don't take it wrong, I have always loved Emily, but now, I kind of like her too, and that is a good thing. Except, that now that we have finally reached this place, our Emmers is going to be leaving us. Emily is twenty now, and has been, well, sort of just out there in the world, but never really finding a place for herself. She has gone through a few jobs. She has moved from Iowa to Illinois, and back again. And has just been searching for a way to make her own life. She has decided on a way. See, today, she called me to double check on my middle name. I thought it an odd question. (It is Michelle for those of you who don't know, and those of you who always forget. {cough, cough}) Apparently she needs it for the recruiter. (I still can't understand what my middle name has to do with anything.) My sweet Emily, is taking her first oath tomorrow. She will be leaving for Basic on January eleventh. She is joining the Army. She will do Basic at Fort Jackson. I am proud of her. In fact, I do not think I have ever been MORE proud of her. Emily has a past history of starting things and never finishing them. But I think this will be different. I have faith in her. I have faith that she will do the right thing, and tough it out, and I am proud. I need to start saving so that I can take the trip to see her graduate. I will be one of the proudest Mommas there! The hubby and my good friend (And Emily's step-father) Bill, have decided that what I should do is join the reserves. LMAO. ME? Could you imagine? I do not do well with orders! And the term "Fuck Off" flows too easily from my lips when someone says something to me that I do not like. I see myself getting in far too much trouble in a military situation to even seriously consider it. Besides, khaki is not my color..and I would look downright silly in a beret. But I will be glad to sit in the stands, and cheer when she has her moment to shine. I will be so proud, I am so proud. That is all, Goodnight.

3 comments:

Honest John said...

unbelievably wise decision. Kids who aren't aiming for college should get their disciplinary education from the armed services. She will be a better person when she gets out. She will be employable, dependable and adjustable. When she finds a career, she will be one of those who shows up on time and regularly. She'll take pride in her work and be intolerant of losers. I'm happy for you. Although these are not the best times to be in the Army, there are many assignments she can hopefully win that will keep her out of harms way. You should be proud of her wise decision. And don't be afraid to tell her so. With your encouragement, she can fulfill her obligation and be proud of herself as well when its over.

Anonymous said...

Nuthin' like yer kid findin' his/her way...in fact, that iz prob'ly a parents biggest wish...annit's tuff on'em..God Bless her...bothaya..

someoneswife said...

HJ,
I am very proud of her, and will stand behind her all the way. I think that military service will give her a confidence that she has been lacking. She will learn that she IS capable. Something I think she questions often. I believe she will be in communications, so hopefully she will be in a safe place. (American soil would help me sleep better though I must admit.) Thanks for your kind words. Hugs, Dawn


Stevo,
I was able to struggle through the translation of "Stevo's Hoodese", and I want to thank you for your comment. It is tough on them, finding their own way, and I am very proud that she came to this on her own. As for the Blessings.. those are always helpful, and may you recieve yours sevenfold. Hugs, Dawn