Saturday, November 10, 2007

Treats For Troops...

Okay, so it is that time of year again folks! The dreaded Holiday Season! But as we are all bitching and moaning about the turkey taking too long, or the pie crust getting too browned, we need to all remember those wonderful men and women who are not at home with their families. Those men and women who are sacrificing their holiday's so that they can protect our nation from all enemies. Please, if you have the time (and I know you do if you had the time to read my blog) and if you have the money to spare, (I know all of you do not, but dig deep people!) please visit Treats For Troops and send a care package to some well deserving member of our Armed Forces. Let them know we care! Let them know they are NOT FORGOTTEN! That's all, Bye.

This is what a holiday looks like in Iraq...


after they wait in this line....



and if they are lucky, they may get to roast marshmallows afterwards...



I was sent this in an email many, MANY years ago. I loved it then, I love it now, and since it is my blog, I can do anything that I want so here is a poem.. deal with it....

A U.S. Marine Christmas
'Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone
In a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone
I had come down the chimney with presents to give
And to see whom in this house did live

As I looked all around, a strange sight I did see
No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree
No stockings by the fire, just boots full of sand
On the wall hung a picture of a far away land

With medals and badges, awards of all kinds
A sobering thought soon came to my mind
For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen
This was the home of a U.S. Marine

I heard stories about them so I had to see more
I walked down the hallway and pushed open the door
And there he lay sleeping- Silent. Alone.
Curled up on the floor of his one bedroom home

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene
Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine
Was this the hero of whom I'd just read?
Curled up on his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean shaven, his face weathered tan
I soon understood this was more than a man.
For I realized the families that I saw tonight
Owed their lives to these men who were willing to fight

Soon around the nation the children would play
And grown-ups would celebrate a bright Christmas day
They enjoyed freedom each day and all year
Because of Marines like the one lying here

I couldn't help wonder how many lay alone
On a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home
Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye
I dropped to my knees and I started to cry

He must have awoken for I heard a rough voice
"Santa don't cry. This life is my choice.
I fight for freedom, I don't ask more.
My life is my God, my country, my Corps."

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep
I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
I watched him for hours. So silent and still
noticed he shivered from the cold nights chill

So, I took off my jacket, the one made of red
To cover this Marine from his toes to his head
Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold
With the eagle, globe, and anchor emblazoned so bold

Although it barely fit me. I began to swell with pride
For one shining moment I was Marine Corps deep inside
I didn't want to leave him, so quite in the night
This guardian of honor so willing to fight

But half asleep he rolled over and in a voice clean and pure
Said, "Carry on Santa, it's Christmas Day, all is secure!"
One look at my watch and I knew he was right
Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi, and good night!

~Author Unknown

No comments: