Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The child is scarred for life...

Okay, so it finally happened. One of my children walked in on the hubby and I in the act of....um.. well you know. Well, he didn't walk in exactly. He walked to the bathroom, (which is right next to our bedroom door) and we had not closed the door. It was five o'clock in the morning. Honestly, the thought that we had to close the door just never entered my mind. Children should not be awake at five in the morning. Not even to use the restroom. I will give him this though, he was mature enough to go straight back to bed without saying a word. Of course, knowing that he had seen us killed the mood. Quickly. Now the mood has been killed by the kids before. Just never quite so thoroughly. I have had them wake in the middle of the night and cry when they were babies. Back then, I changed them, rocked them back to sleep, and returned to the hubby who was glad to pick up where we left off. But this. Well, I think I am scarred for life too. I think this weekend I will be installing a deadbolt on the bedroom door. I am just grateful that it was the hubby that he questioned about it this afternoon. I know he is almost fourteen, and we have had the sex talk a few times already. He knows that people in love have sex, and thanks to the mainstream media, he knows that people who are not in love often have sex. But I still am in no way prepared to deal with the fact that he witnessed sex between the hubby and I. The kids get grossed out by the hubby and myself kissing, holding hands, cuddling, and especially the hubby's favorite thing to do.... public groping. (Come on now, you know you have all done it sometime, anyway it is always very PG in public.) Can you imagine how disgusted he is with what he saw last night? I know you are sitting there laughing right now, but seriously, how do I discuss this with him? Or do I just ignore it unless he comes to me? I am stumped. Kids should really come with owners manuals like cars do. (They are far more complex than a six cylinder engine bolted to a frame.) I hope he isn't really "scarred for life", and I hope that the outcome of this little misadventure will be that he grows up with a healthy attitude towards physical signs of affection, and I hope that next time I think about closing the door. That's all, Goodnight.

No comments: