Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The real implications of a "virgin" birth...

I know I have not been writing much here lately, but it is due to the fact that nothing of any real importance has happened to me. So tonight I will talk about whatever happens to come into my brain. I will start with the fact that when I was talking to my honey today, he told me about a "virgin" birth in a shark. (Yes, I am well aware that we talk about strange things.) So anyway, I decided to look into it. I remembered hearing a little blurb about something similar happening right here at our own Henry Doorly Zoo a few years back, and imagine my surprise when I found out that is exactly the story he was talking about. It seems that the birth took place back in December of 2001. They have discovered, after years of extensive research, that it was indeed a "virgin" birth. The name for the process that causes this is called parthenogenesis. (We all learn something new everyday.) It seems that there is no paternal DNA involved, so they were able to rule out " sperm storage" as a possibility. (Such as that which is seen in the eastern box turtle and the red sided garter snake.) Nor is it due to a previously fertilized egg being halted in it's development until such time as the mother is able to care for the new baby. (As seen in kangaroos.) Nor is it due to sharks being able to change sex. (As seen in some species of frogs, fish and shrimp.) It is a true miracle of Mother Nature. (Or God, if you believe as I do.) So are all the other ways of sexual reproduction, but somehow a "virgin" birth just seems more miraculous. With this new finding, it seems that Mammals are the only group (genus?) that does not have at least one species that reproduces by parthenogenesis. (Except of course, that oh so famous Virgin birth that took place approximately 2007 years ago.) It got me to thinking. We as humans consider ourselves to be the most intelligent creatures on the planet, yet we have not yet figured out how to reproduce through parthenogenesis. Now, I am fully aware that the shark didn't exactly "figure it out", but apparently through years and years of evolution (yes, you can believe in God and evolution at the same time), the sharks body has changed so that if a female spends her life without encountering a worthy male, well, then she can just have kids without one. Why haven't human women figured out how to do this yet? We all know that "worthy" males are few and far between, yet women all over the world breed with these less than worthy men in order to have the children they so much desire. I know plenty of women who later regret their choice of "unworthy" man, and spend a lifetime wishing that they could have just reproduced through parthenogenesis. (I am one of the lucky few who found an "almost worthy" man.) I am thinking that if female scientists the world over get together and start working on this little problem, we might see a reemergence of the "worthy" male of our species. Face it, men want to have sex. Women want to have babies. (The sex you have to get them is an added bonus.) If women could have babies without any male involvement whatsoever, men would have to "shape up" in order to get laid once in awhile. Think of the implications ladies. Men washing the dishes. Men cooking the dinners. Men picking up their own stinky socks off the living room floor. What an amazing world we would live in. I personally will send twenty bucks to aid in the research needed to accomplish this. Just tell me where to send the check, and I will have the hubby drop it in the mail first thing tomorrow. That's all, Goodnight.

No comments: