Monday, October 1, 2007

Four and 0...

Okay, so I just got home from orientation at my new facility. The atmosphere there is so much different than at the facility I just left. First, they are much more strict with the rules. (So much for gum chewing and MP3 player listening while on the job, damn it.) Second, this new facility is much larger and simply crowded with people. I am not sure how well this is going to work for me. It also seems as though I am the only blonde in the entire plant. (Granted, my blonde comes from a bottle. Yet, I seem to be the only female there that could have possibly been born a blonde! I was actually, the brown didn't develop until I was about nine.) Also, there are alot more men than women at this new building it seems. I actually was a bit uncomfortable at first. Everyone seemed to be staring at me as we took our tour through the plant. I got lots of winks and smiles. That shit needs to come to a quick halt. I am all for being friendly, but I am there to do a job just like they are, and I will not tolerate any bullshit from any of these men. Besides, to be honest, I just do not get it. Is it the blonde hair? The green eyes? What is it that they see that makes men behave badly when I am around? You know, when I look in the mirror, I see a very average, still overweight, getting older woman. What would make men turn to take a second look, let alone wink? I suppose I should be flattered, but really it made me a bit uncomfortable. I was glad that I was with a group of friends. The lead I had in my last plant warned me Friday night, that I needed to be careful at this new plant. He said that he has many cousins that work there, and that they will all be trying to talk to me all the time. He said that they will like me alot. That they will try to pursue me mercilessly. I guess I will have to start off in bitch mode, and curtail the shit before it gets a chance to start. I do not know yet what my job will be. I hope I am with at least one of our group from the other plant. I am seriously considering applying for the maintenance job they have available. The orientation trainer said that I do not need to have any experience, they will train me. He also said that I have a good shot at it, because I am female, and they try to get women in to non-traditional roles. The pay is pretty decent for this area. Sixteen seventy five an hour once I have completed the training. I will talk to him about it more tomorrow. After all, I have a leg up on most other women who may apply, as I have at least a cursory knowledge of tools, and I have been known to tear apart broken appliances and fix them, as well as doing some very basic automobile repairs. So, we will see. Tonight is going to be lonely for me. The Honey is at home, and so there will be no late night three and a half hour phone call tonight. Though I do want him to know that I am thinking about him right now. And now. And now. I think I need to go and take a hot bath, just to take the edge off. I am tired tonight. But not sleepy. I just have to say yeah for the Cowboys four and 0. (Just for you Honey!) And I have to say HA! I was right, and you were wrong... Check this out... (From Kansas City Chiefs website roster section...)

Status: Reserve - non-football injury
# Name Pos Ht Wt Born Exp College Hometown Acquired
31 Holmes, Priest RB 5-9 213 10/07/73 11 Texas San Antonio, TX UFA (BAL)-01

I told you so!

Anyway, wish me luck at my new job, and I will let you know tomorrow what I will be doing. That's all, Goodnight.

2 comments:

CrystalChick said...

Are you kidding me??? UH.... yeah, the blonde hair, the green eyes and don't say 'overweight' say 'voluptuous' (like me and my girlfriend say) YES... all of that. I've only been by your blog for a couple weeks or so and know you are pretty neat, sight unseen for the most part, so that people, men especially, in your presence give you a wink....I don't doubt that at all. NOW, of course you can't take even the tiniest bit of crap from any of them and probably do have to send out a strong signal that you aren't there for THAT .....but it's atleast nice to be noticed at first.
Good luck with the new job.
Thanks for adding me to your blog list! :) Mary

someoneswife said...

Mary,
I like the whole "voluptuous" idea. I may have to use that from now on, however i still don't see it. (Other than that I am just someone new, I have no idea what could interest them.) Thanks for the wishes of luck, I may need it as i am considering applying for the maintenance position, and I suffer from a fear of heights and small spaces, both of which I will have to work through if I get the job. Ihave always rather wanted to face my fear of heights by doing something crazy like bungee jumping or skydiving, but making better money is also a great incentive to learn to deal. As for adding you to my favorite blogs, that was an easy choice, as I find you warm, and funny. Two things I admire most in new friends. Hugs, Dawn