Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Way it was...

Okay, so I got home a bit early from work last night. I went to the store, came home and ate, and then I got a phone call from Toni. She was crying. It seems her son Todd was drunk, and she said some not so nice things to her son Russ about how Todd's "down-fall" is all his fault. That simply isn't the case. Todd is a full grown man (older than me) and is quite capable of making his own decisions. Russ had left the bar early, Todd didn't leave til around midnight. Thing is, Toni has always been much closer to Todd than to Russel, and so she is more than willing to blame Russel for Todd's mistakes. She told me that she wanted to go try and talk to Todd. To talk some sense into him. (Toni is convinced that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, or is on their way to being an alcoholic.) So off I went, along for the ride. We checked the bar where Todd was last seen, but he was already gone. She decided to head over to the boys' apartment. (Todd and Russ share the apartment with a new friend named Tim added into the mix.) I went upstairs and told Todd that his mother wanted to talk with him. He was so funny. He kept trying to convince me to climb into bed with him. He told me I was beautiful and nice, and then that I was a bitch. I just laughed and told him to go talk with his mommy. I stayed upstairs with Russ and Tim to give them a chance to talk. About ten minutes later Todd came in furious. You know, he was experiencing that rage that only a truly drunk person ever feels. Apparently Toni had called Russ a loser, and told Todd that he was becoming a loser just like his brother. (This is an unfair statement. Russ owns his own business, and has always maintained a home. He recently split with the woman he spent sixteen years with, and has been drinking a bit more than what is usual for him since then, so this is not a fair assessment of him.) Todd came in yelling at me. Telling me that I hate him, and think he is a loser too. (How do I get drawn into the drama? I wasn't even there! I had stayed upstairs so that I didn't somehow get involved.) Russ and Tim quickly came to my defense, and I went to check on Toni. Toni was very upset. We drove home, and by the time we pulled into her driveway, she was in tears. I spent awhile talking with her, and calming her down. A kiss and a hug on my way out the door, and she seemed to be feeling a bit better. On my way out the door I called Todd. I was going to bitch at him for making his mother cry. Didn't quite turn out the way I had planned. When I called Russ answered. We talked for about ten minutes before he told me that Todd had left saying something about killing himself. Men! I swear they should outlaw drinking for emotional men. I told Russ that I would go and look for him. Russ sent Tim to come pick me up to find him. We found him alright. He was walking down the side of the road, having just got unstuck from a field full off mud up to his waist. (It has been raining here for over a week.) Personally, I think it would have been funny if he had been stuck to the point of having to spend the night trapped in the field. Maybe then he would rethink it next time he decided to do something so stupid. Anyway, we picked him up, and took him back to the apartment. Todd spent the next several hours alternating between crying, and raging at the situation he has placed himself in. Alternating between loving and hating everyone. Finally at about five this morning, he talked himself out, and went to bed. I curled up on the couch and slept. No one is too very pleased with me this morning. The hubby is unhappy, because I never made it back home last night, and I spent the night in an apartment with three men. Toni is not happy because she thinks I am siding with the boys against her. That simply isn't true. I was just being the same friend to him, as I have always been. Doing the same for him that I would have done for any of my friends who needed me. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I was asked this morning, if there was anything romantic going on between Todd and myself. That question is almost laughable. If the person who asked it knew Todd, they would never have asked me such a silly question. Oh don't get me wrong. I have never had a male friend who didn't at one point drunkenly confess a secret desire to be with me in a romantic way (except for Bill), and Todd is no exception to that rule. (Hell, even Russ hit on me last night. Over and over again.) But, I think more of myself than to do that. I wouldn't ever sleep with Todd. And besides, I didn't shave my legs. That's all, Bye.

No comments: